Monday, January 14, 2013

Juice Carton Bird Feeder


Juice Carton Bird Feeder


I always see birds out of my window on the tree in my garden and I wanted to feed them. The only bit that concerned me was spending a fortune on a store bought bird feeder, so I had the idea to make my own.

I got a 750ml empty 'Tropicana' carton and cut a hole in 2 sides roughly in the middle. Then, I pierced 2 smaller holes on the sides just below the carton cap.

I got some string and poked it through the two holes and then tied it together at the lid. I tied it again about 8cm up the string so that it made a loop for the bird feeder to hang off a branch.

I got some raisins, soaked them in warm water and chopped them, put them in and hung it on my tree.


Tips if you would like to try:

  1. Instead of using one bit of string through the holes, use two to make it stronger.

  2. When tying the knots on the string, tie them 3-4 times to make them stronger.

  3. If there are sharp bits around the edges of your two big holes, use a couple of bits of cello tape to cover them so that the bird does not damage it's feathers entering your bird feeder.

  4. Cut the two big entrance holes to the size of bird that comes.

  5. Check if the food you're feeding the birds is safe for them to eat.

  6. Hang the feeder quite high so that the bird will be safe from predators such as cats and foxes etc.


Thank you for reading.

source:http://www.savvyhomemade.com

No comments:

Post a Comment